Max Planck Lecture Series
Wednesday, 22 March 2017, 16:00
“The effect of the ECHR on the constitutional system of member states”
Prof. Dr. Dres. h.c. Jochen Frowein
(Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law, Heidelberg)
Jochen Abr. Frowein is Professor emeritus at the University of Heidelberg. He was the Director of the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law from 1981 to 2002. From 1973 to 1993 he was a Member of the European Commission of Human Rights where he served as Vice-President from 1981 to 1993.
Professor Frowein is Professor of Constitutional law and Public International Law. He held positions at the University of Bochum, the University of Bielefeld and the University of Heidelberg. He is the author of a commentary on the European Convention on Human Rights (together with W. Peukert). He has commented Articles 39 to 43 of the Charter of the United Nations in the commentary on the Charter of the United Nations edited by B. Simma. Other scholarly writings include ‘The European Convention on Human Rights as the Public Order of Europe’ (A. Cassese and J.H.H. Weiler, Collected Courses of the Academy of European Law, 1990) and ‘The Transformation of Constitutional Law through the European Convention on Human Rights’ (Human Rights Law Journal, 2015).
Professor Frowein was Vice-President of the Max Planck Society, Vice-President of the German Research Foundation and Vice-President of the International Commission of Jurists. He has acted on behalf of the German Government in a number of cases before the European Court of Human Rights and was involved in major cases before the German Federal Constitutional Court, the European Court of Justice and the International Court of Justice.
- 1953 - 1956 Law School in Kiel, Berlin and Bonn
- 1956 First State exam in Law (Cologne)
- 1957 - 1961 Referendar
- 1957/58 Graduate student at the University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Master of Comparative Law
- 1960 Doctorate Bonn
- 1962 Second State exam (Düsseldorf)
- 1962 - 1966 Research Fellow Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law, Heidelberg
- 1967 Habilitation University of Bonn
- 1967 - 1969 Professor for Constitutional and Public International Law, Ruhr-University Bochum, 1969 - 1981 University of Bielefeld
- 1970 Member of the German Delegation for the Moscow and Warsaw treaties
- 1971/1972 Member Groupe Vedel for the report on the institutions of the European Communities
- 1972 - 2004 Member Advisory Council for Public International Law Foreign Office, Bonn/Berlin.
- 1972 - 1975 Member Scientific Council (Wissenschaftsrat)
- 1973 - 1993 Member European Commission of Human Rights, 1981 - 1993 Vice-President
- 1975 - 1977 Vice-President Vereinigung der Deutschen Staatsrechtslehrer (German Public Law Teachers Association)
- 1977 - 1980 Vice-President of the German Research Foundation (DFG)
- 1978 Visiting Professor University of Michigan Law School
- 1979 Bundesverdienstkreuz 1. Klasse
- 1981 - 2002 Director Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law, Heidelberg, Professor for Constitutional and Public International Law, University of Heidelberg
- 1984 Dr. honoris causa University of Sevilla
- 1984 Visiting Professor University of Paris I
- 1987/88 and 1995 Visiting Professor University of Paris II
- 1988 Director Centre for Studies and Research Hague Academy of International Law
- 1989 - 1993 President German Society of International Law
- 1994 Großes Bundesverdienstkreuz
- 1994 Lecturer Hague Academy of International Law
- 1996 Member Institut de Droit International
- 1997 Dr. honoris causa University of Leuven
- 1997 - 2003 Chairman of Experts on Freedom of Expression, Council of Europe
- 1998 Member of the International Commission of Jurists
- 1998 Dr. honoris causa University of Szeged
- 1999 - 2002 Vice-President Max Planck Society
- 1999 Dr. honoris causa University of Bielefeld
- 1999 - 2001 President Vereinigung Deutscher Staatsrechtslehrer (German Public Law Teachers Association)
- 2000 Dr. honoris causa University Panthéon-Assas Paris II
- 2000 Member of the group to evaluate the “measures” against Austria
- 2001 Verdienstmedaille of Baden-Württemberg
- 2001 Member of the Arbitration Tribunal for the Bank of International Settlement (BIS)
- 2002 Expert of the European Parliament for the Beneš-Decrees
- 2003 Visiting Professor Georgetown Law Faculty, Washington D.C.
- 2004 Expert Opinion on claims from Germany against Poland in relation to World War II prepared at the request of the governments of the Federal Republic of Germany and the Republic of Poland together with Prof. Dr. Jan Barcz.
- 2006 - 2008 Vice-President International Commission of Jurists, Geneva.
- 2010 Officer’s cross of Polish Order of Merit
Event Poster Download
Max Planck Institute Luxembourg
Conference room, 4th floor
4, rue Alphonse Weicker
Sabrina Logrillo; (+352) 26 94 88 - 926; email@example.com